I was writing my upcoming blogpost about the best Moana party ideas on Pinterest (subscribe to see it when it goes live), and as I was doing so my daughter was just too excited by the pictures of Heart of Te Fiti cookies… So, of course, I had to make some, and we did them vegan style!
What you will need (this will make 20-25 small cookies depending on individual sizes):
- 250g plain flour
- 125g Vitalite dairy free margarine (Flora also have a dairy free range)
- 70g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1tsp/a splash of soya milk (we used Tesco own brand)
- A green icing pen
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/180 degrees C and place a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray ready
2. Place the flour, margarine and sugar into a bowl and mix it with your hands until it is mixed well and forms a breadcrumb texture
3. Add the vanilla essence and enough soya milk to make the mixture sticky – you can mix this in with a spoon to save your hands getting even messier!
4. Roll a small ball of dough in your hands and flatten it out into a thick oval shape, repeat until there is no mixture left
5. Place the cookies into the oven for 20-30 minutes, checking them periodically until they’re a light golden brown colour
6. Place the cookies on a wire rack to cool
7. Once they have cooled down, grab your green icing pen and decorate them! It’s easier to do the swirl in one smooth motion and enough pressure to make sure the icing sticks to the cookie
8. You can eat them right away, but if you want the icing to set a little then pop them in the fridge for an hour or so first!
Let me know if you’ve tried them! I plan on doing these again for my daughter’s birthday party at the end of the month so would love to know if you’ve found any more Moana inspired party foods!